Friday, January 1, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Uncanny :By Simon R. Green



The Good, The Bad, and
The Uncanny

SUMMARY

Things were going so well for P.I. John Taylor, that it was only a matter of time before everything hit the fan. Walker, the powerful, ever-present, never to-be-trusted agent who runs the Nightside on behalf of The Authorities, is dying. And he wants John to be his successor-a job that comes with more baggage, and more enemies, than anyone can possibly imagine.

REVIEW
I've been a fan of Simon R. Green for years now. I've read almost everything he's written and have loved almost all of it. That said I've always had a soft spot for the Nightside series as that was the first thing I read by Mr. Green. Even with that soft spot though I really didn't think The Good, The Bad, and The Uncanny was his best book. Let me be clear, I liked this book and I'd recommend it to any of my friends, but I thought it was more of a bridge between plot lines than anything else, shuffling around old storylines and creating a new adventure that will last a few books such as the Lilith Wars did. If this does end up happening than I couldn't be more excited. I recently went back and re-read the previous Nightside books and I felt like the books featuring Lilith and the Lilith War were some of the best books in the series, so if the introduction of Excalliber can bring back the same level of excitment and plot development that was seen in the Lilith books then this book is worth the lack of development.

Something of a sidenote, I'd recommend readers of this book read Green's other series as well, as Green recently has taken to referencing characters from his other series. These cross series references are not essential to the books, but if you are able to pick up on the references then it makes the series that much more enjoyable.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to read The Good, The Bad, and The Uncanny read the other books in the Nightside series as The Good, The Bad, and The Uncanny is clearly part of a series, but all-in-all I liked this book and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes urban fantasy.

INFO

Publisher: Ace

Published: January 5, 2010

Price: $24.95


No comments:

Post a Comment