Sunday, January 1, 2012

Irises: By Francisco X. Stork


IRISES

SUMMARY

Two sisters discover what's truly worth living for in the new novel by the author of MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD.

TWO SISTERS: Kate is bound for Stanford and an M.D. -- if her family will let her go. Mary wants only to stay home and paint. When their loving but repressive father dies, they must figure out how to support themselves and their mother, who is in a permanent vegetative state, and how to get along in all their uneasy sisterhood.

THREE YOUNG MEN: Then three men sway their lives: Kate's boyfriend Simon offers to marry her, providing much-needed stability. Mary is drawn to Marcos, though she fears his violent past. And Andy tempts Kate with more than romance, recognizing her ambition because it matches his own.

REVIEW

I love Francisco X. Stork. Marcelo In The Real World and The Last Summer of the Death Warriors were some of the best non science fiction related YA novels I’ve read in years. Stork creates captivating yet realistic characters that contain a full range of emotions and persona. Besides that, Stork’s books are crafted in a way that will fascinate readers of all ages. The plots are intricate, the lessons deep, and the characters engaging.

It’s because of all of these things that I knew that I absolutely had to pick up a copy of Irises when it came out. Irises is the story of two sisters who have to come to terms with their secrets, futures, and sacrifices they are wiling to make after their father dies. The book addresses death, love, family, euthanasia, and the rights and wrongs associated with all of these issues.

And I have to say I really enjoyed it. The lesson was thought provoking and deep, the story interesting, the characters dynamic. That said, the speech pattern of the protagonists (Kate and Mary) caught me a little off guard. In Stork’s other books the characters felt real, their speech pattern was realistic yet a tad advanced. In Irises, I just felt like Mary and Kate spoke a little younger than they appeared. This bothered me a tad throughout the book, but to be honest I still enjoyed the book enough that I’d still easily recommend it.

All in all this was a great book. The subject matter is thought provoking, the characters dynamic, and the plot engaging and captivating. While I don’t feel it was better than Stork’s other books I’d have no problem recommending this fantastic book.

RATING

8.5 out of 10

INFO

Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books

Published: January 1, 2012

Price: $17.99

No comments:

Post a Comment