Sunday, March 4, 2012

Starters: By Lissa Price

STARTERS

SUMMARY

In the future, teens rent their bodies to seniors who want to be young again. One girl discovers her renter plans to do more than party--her body will commit murder, if her mind can't stop it. Sixteen-year-old Callie lost her parents when the genocide spore wiped out everyone except those who were vaccinated first--the very young and very old. With no grandparents to claim Callie and her little brother, they go on the run, living as squatters, and fighting off unclaimed renegades who would kill for a cookie. Hope comes via Prime Destinations, run by a mysterious figure known only as The Old Man. He hires teens to rent their bodies to seniors, known as enders, who get to be young again. Callie's neurochip malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her rich renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, even dating Blake, the grandson of a senator. It's a fairy-tale new life . . . until she uncovers the Body Bank's horrible plan. . . .

REVIEW

When I read the synopsis on Starters originally I wasn’t sold on the book. I thought it seemed a little too into the romance and relationship and couldn’t see where the story was going to go.

Then I read one of Price’s e-books that tied into the book, and liked the characters (especially Michael) and thought it was engaging. So I figured why not give Starters a shot.

I’m very glad I did.

Starters is a really good book. Price does a good job building this post apocalyptic world where the only humans left are the very old and the very young. I found myself being sucked into the story, and found to my dismay that before long I had reached the end of the book (it was also to the dismay of my work as I realized I hadn’t done anything except read that day, because I just couldn’t put the book down.) The book is not short, it was just that engaging.

Callie is a great protagonist, she’s strong, smart, and determined, while at the same time not infallible. This combination makes for a relatable protagonist that readers will find themselves rooting for. Michael is a character that I really liked in the short story I read, but I didn’t feel like he had any real presence here in the actual book. I’m hoping more short stories and possibly Enders, the next book in the series, features Michael more prominently, as I feel he’s a fantastic character that has a lot of potential that I don’t believe was given his fair share in the first book.

Of course, besides characters, the book is well written and full of much more action than I was expecting. I really was caught off guard by the abrupt changes that occurred in the story, caused by some of the blackouts and whatnot, but I have to say it was very well done and made for very interesting twists to the story.

Speaking of twists, if for nothing else than readers should read Starters just for the last page. I was shocked when I read it and can’t wait for the next book to come out.

All in all a great start to a exciting new series.

RATING

8 out 0f 10

INFO

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Published: March 13, 2012

Price: $17.99

No comments:

Post a Comment