Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Confusion of Princes: By Garth Nix


A CONFUSION OF PRINCES

SUMMARY



You'd think being a Prince in a vast intergalactic empire would be about as good as it gets. Particularly when Princes are faster, smarter, and stronger than normal humans. Not to mention being mostly immortal.
But it isn't as great as it sounds. Princes need to be hard to kill—as Khemri learns the minute he becomes one—for they are always in danger. Their greatest threat? Other Princes. Every Prince wants to become Emperor, and the surest way to do so is to kill, dishonor, or sideline any potential competitor. There are rules, but as Khemri discovers, rules can be bent and even broken.
Soon Khemri is drawn into the hidden workings of the Empire and dispatched on a secret mission. In the ruins of space battle he meets a young woman called Raine, who challenges his view of the Empire, of Princes, and of himself.
But Khemri is a Prince, and even if he wanted to leave the Empire behind, there are forces that have very definite plans for his future. . . .



REVIEW



Garth Nix’s previous books drew me into this book. While this book has nothing to do with his previous series I assumed since I liked his other books I would like this one to. To be fair that wasn’t wrong.

I did like A Confusion of Princes. It had a fun and exciting idea, the potential for a lot of action, and some interesting characters.

That said, I had a few problems with the book. First, I felt like the issues with the Confederation came out left field. This wasn’t a big problem but it just seemed to not have a lot of backing in terms of back-story or info. Second, while I loved some of the characters like Haddad and Atalin, I felt like they were barely in the book. I understand that an author has to make cuts to characters and other storylines otherwise every book would be thousands of pages, but for characters that were as integral to the story as these two were there needed to be something more, otherwise some of the decisions that were made just seem trivial and trite. Finally, while there were some good action sequences in the book, Nix set up so many more exciting moments that I felt like he just glossed over.

Of course eve with those complaints I liked the book. There were enough action sequences to keep me interested. The characters were interesting, I just wanted to know more. And it was a fun read. All in all while there were complaints and I felt it could be improved I’m not disappointed I read it.



INFO


Publisher: HarperCollins


Published: May 15, 2012


Price: $17.99


Link to Buy: http://www.amazon.com/A-Confusion-of-Princes-ebook/dp/B007ED6VWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338357795&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment