Monday, March 24, 2014

Fortune's Pawn: By Rachel Bach

FORTUNE'S PAWN

SUMMARY

Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet.

That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

REVIEW


Fortune’s Pawn is ok.

I loved Rachel Aaron’s other works (she’s writing under the pseudonym Rachel Bach for this series), and I think I raised my expectations a touch to high before starting this series. Don’t get me wrong Fortune's Pawn is not a bad book, but it's just not what I was expecting.

First, I was also slightly jarred by Bach’s primary character Devi. I had a hard time fully understanding and committing to Devi’s actions, which seemed to bring me out of the story a bit. On top of that, while this wasn’t a bad thing, I was unprepared for the amount of romance involved in Fortune’s Pawn.

Of course, besides those things, which were not bad things, they just were not what I was expecting, there were plenty of good things about Fortune’s Pawn. First off, there are plenty of action scenes and Bach does a fantastic job keeping her readers on their toes in these scenes, making sure to keep that fine line between keeping the adrenaline pumping yet describing the actions with enough details to know what’s going on without getting bogged down in unnecessary details. Bach also does a great job reeling out the mystery aboard the ship, readers will easily recognize that there is something odd about this ship and its inhabitants, but Bach does a great job keeping the readers guessing as to what is going on. Finally, Bach makes space armor awesome. I’d say she was a space armor enthusiast if it actually existed, she describes it so well. Heck authors of space operas and mech-warrior books should take note of the awesomeness that is Devi’s armor.

Therefore, because of all of these things I would recommend this book. It is not my favorite book, but I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I had known what those who have just read my review now know, so consider yourself fair warned. Knowing what I now know now I plan to read the next in the series and see if my now adjusted expectations lead me to more enjoyment. 

INFO

Publisher: Orbit Books

Published: November 15, 2013

Price: $15.00

Link to Buy: http://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-Pawn-Book-1-Paradox-ebook/dp/B0092XHX42/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395679349&sr=1-1&keywords=fortunes+pawn

No comments:

Post a Comment